Monday, January 2, 2012

2012

Time sure had flown by! It is now a fresh new day and a fresh new year in Alaska for the Lazaros family. We have had a very crazy year with many challenges as well as many blessings. As we continue in this path that God has led us in, we have been reflecting on the fact that we knew going to Alaska, and especially ministering with CEF of Alaska would have it's challenges as we would be faced with a real opportunity to grow and be stretched. We have not been let down in thoses pre-concieved thoughts! We have been challenged and have grown! It is never pretty, or desirable as we go through these growth spurts, but it is good!
Some things from this year as I reflect:
  • Lela went through a very intense operation the end of September. We knew this would take time as we did research, but did not realize all that would be involved in the recovery. We think that when they operated, there was a bit of her brain that was taken out. Although it is slowly growing back!
  • Shaughn, after working a crazy year and a half as opening manager at our local McDonalds and taking college classes decided he had enough of the Mcdramma and took a long leave of absence form McD's. He has been working for a local pizza place and has experienced a different set of drama scenes. He is realizing that the food industry is not for him!
  • Matthew has burned himself out as he took over for Shaughn as opening manager at McD's, and took 20 credit hours at Kenai Penninsula College. We encouraged him to step out of McDonalds and he has. His semester is done. He has been spending time at home just getting back to normal! It had been good to hear him laugh again!
  • The little guys aren't as little anymore! Nathaniel is in the youth group now and becomming his own, very interesting person...Jeremiah is having seperation anxiety as his partner is stepping out on his own now. He also is beginning to step up as his own person.
  • I (Scott) have just been hanging on. Being pulled in many direction and trying to grow as a leader in my home, community, and ministry.

It is interesting in being in full time ministry. It is not like the jobs that I have had where I knew exactly what needed to be done all of the time. There is always a flow. Sometimes I find myself driving 3 hours to Anchorage to have coffee with someone who God has brought into the scene. Sometimes I sit at a desk at the office making phone calls, praying, plotting, and scheming. Sometimes I take my wife out for coffee so that we can connect and get synced up. Sometimes I am frustrated due to not understanding how others think. Sometimes I find myself working on an airplane and fellowshipping with like minded, God loving, mechanics. Sometimes I find myself remodeling a room in this old house that God has blessed us with. Sometimes I find myself reparing one of our old vehicles to keep us mobile or help out one of my sons on their vehicles. Sometimes I find myself bundled up heading to a village that may be -50 0r -60F, not knowing how God will be glorified, but trusting that He would use little old us in His plan to bring people to Himself. Other times I just find a quiet place to open God's word and sit and listen to Him at His feet.

So, this year, 2012, I pray is a year of getting closer to God. One of slowing down to listen to Him, and family and friends, while keeping momentum going foward as God opens doors, and leads.

I am so thankful for a God who has always had a plan for my life, my family, and He is faithful. He can be trusted. He will never leave us or forsake us!

No comments: